Monday, March 23, 2015

The Law of the Wild

Found here

When I saw this obviously I was in awe of their interaction  but also how it reiterates that there is still so much humans can learn from wildlife.

I remember reading about how many sharks are killed annually and I was shocked: 

Based on available data for shark deaths and estimates of unreported illegal catches, the researchers estimated that 100 million sharks were killed in 2000 and 97 million in 2010. But since scientists lack sufficient data on shark catches, they say the real number of annual shark deaths could possibly be between 63 million and 273 million.. Sharks are fished for their meat, liver oil, cartilage and valuable fins, which are hacked off, often from live sharks, to be used in shark fin soup, an ancient and prized delicacy in East Asia.
How many people die of shark attacks annually?

 The United States averages just 16 shark attacks each year and slightly less than one shark-attack fatality every two years. Meanwhile, in the coastal U.S. states alone, lightning strikes and kills more than 41 people each year.. Each year there are about 50 to 70 confirmed shark attacks and 5 to 15 shark-attack fatalities around the world.


On a lighter note, it also made me realize I too need to  not eat if I'm not hungry. I don't care if I feel in my heart that the leftover pizza is calling me, I don't need to eat it just cause it's there. (must repeat this to myself when temptation hits).


No comments:

Post a Comment