Monday, June 27, 2011

Nothing quite like comfort food

It's nice when the cheese overloads the pasta


Yesterday I did A LOT of cleaning which, needless to say, can really build up an appetite. But after all that energy used up organizing I was hungry and impatient so I made mac and cheese. First I made the roux (using 40% vegetable spread which takes away some of the guilt) and flour. I then added warm milk which keeps it from getting lumpy. The final step- I added Monterrey Jack cheese; normally, I like to use an Italian blend but MJ was all I had and it still was delicious. I love the thick, goopy consistency and more so when I mixed in the rigatoni.
Now you might think that considering my state of near-starvation I practically ate it directly out of the pot, sorry to disappoint you. I then decided to bake it with bread crumbs on top and a little bit of creole seasoning. It was amazing and I loved the rigatoni because the cheese would collect inside as well :) Bon Appetit!

What are some of your favorite comfort foods? I'd love for you to share your recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment